The Government Property Function (GPF) provides an essential platform for the delivery of public services across the largest property portfolio in the UK, valued at £515bn and covering more than 300,000 properties. The public estate enables delivery, efficiency and reform of diverse public services and Government operations.
As the UK seeks to Build Back Better and Greener, the Government Property Function has a major role in accelerating infrastructure, levelling up and boosting growth and jobs. The ambition is to transform the government estate into a sustainable, net zero platform for the delivery of modern public services.
The Property Function operates across central departments, delivery organisations, government property companies and agencies including the wider public sector. People across the function are involved in a wide range of activities occupying schools, courts, prisons, offices and many more.
On top of managing the public estate the whole function leads or is involved in policies that have significant consequences for the delivery of government priorities: major infrastructure programmes, smarter working across the Civil Service, implementation of government hubs, and providing valuations for local and national taxation, to name a few.
The Office of Government Property (OGP) in the Cabinet Office provides central leadership across the whole function to drive collaboration and transformation of the public estate for public benefit. Through this central leadership role OGP drives the mandate and maturity of the function across government and holds responsibility for several high-profile programmes central to the transformation of the public estate. This includes;
- Levelling Up, through the Places for Growth programme, relocating civil service roles into regions, making the civil service less London-centric and better connecting to the communities it serves;
- Supporting the delivery of capital receipts, land for homes and local outcomes responsive to citizen needs through the One Public Estate Programme;
- Pursuing major property changes programmes with a focus on FM and sustainability;
- Driving continuous improvement through a new digital property asset register and building robust and reliable property data;
- Setting and assuring the strategy, standard and controls for the whole function;
- Developing expert skills and capacity across the 5000 strong property profession;
- Acting as the sponsor for the Government Property Agency (GPA) who deliver property and workplace solutions across the central government general purpose portfolio.